I am primarily familiar with Microsoft products and languages, but am interested in learning more about open source. To summarize, here are the top 5 things I’ve always wanted to know about open source development:
1. Who do you talk to when you have a support issue regarding an open source product that you’re using?
2. Are open source programs as secure as proprietary programs and are open source solutions embraced by large corporations even though they don’t have a name like Oracle, Microsoft etc. behind them for support?
3. What are the most popular open source programs out there?
4. What’s the best place on the web to learn about the open source solutions out there today?
5. Are there any known drawbacks to open source versus proprietary software that people should know about before pursuing it just on a cost basis?
Granted, some of these I know the partial answers to, but as someone who doesn’t use open source very readily except for Log4Net, it’s fairly representative of the questions I’d have about open source technologies.